Roast Barley Malt Flour Loaf
- 200g strong white flour (50%)
- 180g strong wholemeal flour (45%)
- 20g RBM flour (5%)
- 300g wholemeal or rye sourdough starter (75%)
- 250g luke-warm water (63%)
- 8g salt (2%)
This beautifully tasty loaf was made using a standard wholemeal sourdough bread recipe, with a small proportion of RBM flour added which lifted both flavour and colour to produce a delicious loaf that once tasted will be gone.
- Mix the sourdough starter (leaven) with the water, breaking the lumps. Add the remaining ingredients and stir until the dry ingredients are taken-up by the wet ones. Tip onto a lightly floured (or oiled) surface. Using Dan Lepard's low intensity technique, you can kneed for about 10 seconds - it'll be sticky, so oil your hands and use a scraper - scraping the dough back into an oiled bowl for about 15 minutes, then repeat, leaving for about 30 minutes. Repeat, leaving a gap of 1 hour then 2 hours after which time, the dough should be easier to handle. The full technique suggested placing the dough in a warm place between kneeds - I find the kitchen is fine.
- Mould into a loaf shape and place seem-side up into a (rye) floured 750g proving basket and prove in a warm place, covered with a damp cloth, until doubled. With sourdoughs this is likely to take several hours: much longer than with a commercial yeast.
- Tip out onto a semolina-dusted peel, slash with a grignette with your preferred pattern and then onto a pre-heated baking stone (or, tip onto a baking sheet if you don't have these) and bake at 210C. The RBM makes the dough much darker, so don't take the loaf from the oven too soon - over baked is better than under-baked bread. It should sound hollow and be fairly crusty. To be sure, the dough inside should have reached 90C. As a rough guide, allow about 40-50 minutes for the quantities above.
- As a sourdough loaf, it will have better keeping qualities as well as better taste and texture than fast-acting yeasted breads...and with the RBM you'll achieve an extra-special flavour that will make the keeping quality irrelevant!