1 tsp fast-action yeast, like Saf-Gold Instant Osmotolerant Yeast
70g milk, any sort
10g honey, like our Black Bee Honey range
25g unsalted butter
2 egg yolks
70g Bakery Bits Candied Peel
250g strong white flour, like our Organic Type "0" Manitoba Flour
1/2 tsp salt, like our Cornish Sea Salt Original Crystals
20g ground almonds
15g caster sugar
10g egg white
20g Bakery Bits Pearl Sugar
glace cherries to finish
Our BakeryBits Christmas recipe is a 1950s sweet candied-fruit focaccia with flavours reminiscent of a great panettone, the crumb swirled with sugary ground almonds in a Sfogliato-style, and of course using the very best ingredients available to you here at BakeryBits, delivered fast. Easy to make, the perfect small gift for friends when you visit this Christmas.
It's based on an old 1940s sweet candied fruit focaccia recipe - called Focaccia Primavera - from the Bertolini baking powder company once based in Turin, Italy. Make this in our oblong Panibois with great Mulino Marino Organic Italian flour, BakeryBits Madagascan vanilla powder, panettone essential oil, candied peel, Saf osmotolerant yeast, Black Bee honey, and panettone sugar for a fantastic, fun and sweet festive bake.
1. Dissolve the yeast in 50ml warm water. Put the milk, flavouring mix, and honey in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
2. Put the butter in a mixing bowl, pour on the boiling milk mix and leave until warm and melted.
3. Add the yeast mix, yolks, salt, raisins, peel and flour then mix well until smooth. Cover the bowl and leave for an hour.
4. Flour the worktop then pat and stretch the dough out to about 15cm x 30cm with floured hands. Sprinkle with the filling mix, pat this in, then fold the dough upon itself three or four times like a scroll, then fold in by thirds the other way. Place this in the centre of your 900ml "Sire" Baking Basket, cover and leave one hour somewhere warm to rise.
5. Oil the top of the dough then dimple it outward so it fills the tray, try not to flatten it too much. Then cover and leave a further hour to rise.
6. Heat the oven to 160C fan. Brush the top of the dough with egg white, sprinkle it with pearl sugar, press glacé cherries into the top then bake for about 30 minutes.
7. Remove from the oven and leave to cool. Delicious served warm with a spoonful of thick cream.